Idaho Trail Association Volunteer Projects 2021
The nonprofit organization Idaho Trails Association is looking for hikers who are interested in helping on one-day, weekend, and week-long projects throughout the summer to maintain trails in North Idaho. No experience is needed to participate, and hikers of all levels are encouraged to join. All tools and training will be provided at the start of the trip. Many ITA volunteers describe their experience as empowering and a great way to meet other outdoor enthusiasts.
- ITA has projects planned all over the state and 15 scheduled in the North Idaho region for summer 2021. Here are upcoming projects:
Coeur d'Alene National Recreation Trail - June 18-20
A three-day project in the beautiful upper North Fork of the Coeur d'Alene River. We'll remove logs, cut brush, and do some tread work on this scenic National Recreation Trail that follows the river. We'll stay in a great car camping area that has a really good swimming hole. Come for one, 2 or all 3 days.
Fault Lake Trail 59 Weeklong - July 18-23
A 6–day project high in the Selkirk Mountains in North Idaho. Hike in about 5 miles to a great camp just below the lake and build a "turnpike" (raised walkway) through a swampy area. We'll also do tread work, brushing, and drainage improvement. A backcountry horse crew will haul in our gear.
- To sign up for these projects and see the rest of ITA's North Idaho schedule, visit the ITA website. For more information, contact: Kelly Hewes at 208-440-4140 or email [email protected].
June Parks and Rec
Sandpoint Parks, Recreation, and Open Spaces will be offering the following programming, with online registration now open:
· Adult Doubles Tennis League (Ages 16+), May 18-Sept. 22. Warm up begins at 5 p.m. Match play begins at 5:30 p.m. Fee: $70. Sandpoint Tennis Association (STA) members receive a $45 discount. Online registration deadline extended to May 21. Three more players needed to round out the league! If the league is full, register for the Sub List $5 ($1 non-resident fee).
· Ultimate Frisbee League (Ages 16+), Tentative start day June 3-Oct. 28. League requires minimum of 20 players to begin. Play is 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. every Thursday on Field 8 of Great Northern Field at the Sports Complex. Fee: $20. Online registration remains open through Oct. 28.
· Adult 7v7 Flag Football League (Ages 18+), June 6-Aug. 1. Games played Sundays starting at 1 p.m. on Field 2 of Travers Field at the Sports Complex. Fee: $100/team. Online registration deadline May 23.
· CPR/First Aid Class offered every other month on the first Monday of the month. Fee: $35 CPR and an additional $25 for First Aid. Online registration is currently available for the June 7 class located at the Council Chambers in Sandpoint City Hall from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.. Registration deadline June 3.
· Sand Creek Paddlers' Challenge, a 4 mile paddle up and back on Sand Creek, June 5. Check in & late registration at the City Beach Pavilion 9 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.; race starts at 10 a.m. Fee: $10/boat.
· Brownells / NRA Daughters and Sons Day at the Range (Ages 8-18), June 19 or 20. Various time slots offered but limited to 14 per time spot. This FREE event is sponsored by Brownells/NRA Day, the Bonner County Sportsmen's Association and Sandpoint Parks and Recreation; 22 rifles, ammo, snacks, beverages, shooting benches, targets, hearing and eye protection, and volunteer NRA certified instructors and range officers will be provided.
· The City of Sandpoint Outdoor Shooting Range, located at 113 Turtle Rock Rd, is currently open for the season. Range hours of operation are available on our website on the most currently posted range calendar.
Online registration opens May 25 for the following:
· Family Fun in the Forest (FREE to the entire family), June 13 or June 27 from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. at the Lakeview Park Pavilion. Learn more about getting the most from your hiking and camping experience and brush up on safety / first aid skills. No registration required.
· Ladies Golf Clinic, Session 1 June 14-July 12, 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at the Elks Golf Course. Fee: $100 ($5 non-resident fee). Registration deadline June 10.
· Jr. Advanced Golf (ages 9-13), June 15-July 6. Play is 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. every Tuesday at the Elks Golf Course. Fee: $80 ($5 non-resident fee). Prior play experience is required. Registration deadline June 9.
· Youth Tennis Lessons (ages 4-18 broken out by age). Weekly sessions that meet one hour a day, 4 days a week, beginning the week of June 13. Session 1, Tuesday through Friday June 15-18, times vary based on age group. Rackets are available to borrow at no charge. Fee: $23 ($3 non-resident fee). *Tiny Tots ages 4 & 5 meet twice a week for 45 minutes, fee $13 ($2 non-resident fee). Partial scholarships available. Online registration deadline is the Friday prior to session start date.
· Beginner Sailing (ages 10-18), June 21-24. Class runs 12 p.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Thursday at the Sandpoint Windbag Marina. Fee: $45 ($4 non-resident fee). Registration deadline June 13.
· Adult Beginning Tennis Lessons, Monday and Thursday June 21, 24 from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at the Lakeview Park Tennis Courts. Fee: $22 ($3 non-resident fee). Registration deadline June 18.
· Adult Intermediate Tennis Lessons, Monday and Thursday June 28, July 1 from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at the Lakeview Park Tennis Courts. Fee: $22 ($3 non-resident fee). Registration deadline June 25.
· Adult Coed ASA Softball (Ages 16+), play is Monday-Thursday, early July through August with games played at Travers Softball Fields 1 and 2. Fee: Sponsor fee $300/team and players fee $365/team. Registration deadline June 13. Mandatory captains meeting June 24. All fees due at captains meeting and completed rosters are due the first night of play.
The City of Sandpoint Parks, Recreation and Open Spaces Department also acts as a clearinghouse to connect the public with other recreational opportunities in our community. Visit our online activity catalog to view listings in this category. Outside Organizations and individuals wishing to list their activities are encouraged to contact Parks and Rec with their program information at [email protected]
For P&R program registration, shooting range hours of operation, and other community programs, visit the Sandpoint Parks, Recreation and Open Spaces web site, visit the P&R office located at 1123 Lake Street, or call 208-263-3613. Panhandle Health District recommends following CDC guidance, stay home if sick, reduce physical closeness when possible, wear a mask if possible, and cleaning hands often.
CHAFE 150 Gran Fondo :: Sept. 11, 2021
Sandpoint Rotary presents the 14th Annual CHAFE 150 Gran Fondo, named one of the top charity rides in the U.S., on Saturday, Sept. 11, 2021. The ride takes place in Sandpoint the "Most Beautiful Small Town in the USA." The 150-mile route is a grand loop around the Cabinet Mountains - a frontal range of the Rocky Mountains of Idaho and Montana - through gorgeous lake and river valleys, encompassing one upriver leg, two downriver legs and one huge lake! In addition, CHAFE offers magnificent 100, 80, 40, and 25 mile routes for riders of any level! The event will cap rider numbers at 400 to allow for greater social distancing in all areas of the ride.
- Registration is now open at CHAFE150.org.
Area Golf Courses
Elks Golf Club. This nine-hole course is closest to town, just outside the Sandpoint city limits off Highway 200 East. 208-263-4321. SandpointElks.com.
The Idaho Club. 18-hole Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Course caters to all ability levels and awes all who set foot upon its fairways. Firs and colorful native shrubs frame expertly laid holes, all with striking views of the surrounding mountains. Nearby, the Lower Pack River meanders throughout, as its expansive wetlands provide a pristine and unparalleled links experience. The newly built clubhouse is the central gathering spot with restaurant, deck dining, and plenty of room for private events and celebrations. TheIdahoClub.com.
StoneRidge Golf. Located about 40 minutes southwest of Sandpoint off Highway 41 in Blanchard, StoneRidge has 19 holes on a scenic course with a par-72 layout. StoneRidge hosts a variety of specialty events; for a current schedule call 208-437-4653, or visit StoneRidgeIdaho.com.
Priest Lake Golf Course. Par-72, 6,500-yard course is located at 152 Fairway Dr. in Priest Lake amidst mountains, forests and wetlands on the west side of Priest Lake. Call 208-443-2525 or visit PriestLakeGolfCourse.com.
Yoga, Dance, Gymnastics, Fitness & Wellness
Pilassage. Pilates, yoga, and massage combined keep you healthy, happy, and reform your body with a gentle approach. Message and stretch to soften muscles, then train your core and inner muscles. Bring your own mat and a rolling pin - yes, a rolling pin. Ages 15 to adult; your well-behaved young children are welcome to accompany you. Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. at Community Hall, 204 S. First Ave. $44 fee ($4 city discount). Pre-register online or at Sandpoint Parks and Rec Office, 1123 Lake St. Call 208-263-3613 for more information.
Salsa in Sandpoint. Salsa is an energetic and fun Latin dance. Unlike some partner dances, it is a very sociable dance. Call 208-263-3613 for more information.
Ecstatic Dance. Embody, 823 Main St., holds an Ecstatic Dance class from 10 a.m. to noon every second and fourth Sunday of the month. Ecstatic Dance is a freeform all-ages silent dance meditation where music is your teacher. Cost is $8 to $15 (sliding scale fee); learn more on Facebook/Sandpoint Ecstatic Dance.
Downtown Yoga, 301 Cedar St., Ste. 106, behind Pend d'Oreille Winery, hosts Yin Yoga and the Chakras every Monday, 4 p.m. to 5:10 p.m., $14 drop-in or class pass. In this class we will use Yin Yoga to liberate the chakras and create new promise in the energy body.
Hope Health Fitness Class. The Memorial Community Center, 415 Wellington Pl. in Hope, hosts Health Fitness Classes with Mike Ehredt every Monday and Wednesday from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Call Mike at 208-360-9647 for more information, or to sign up for the class. $5 per session.
Zumba classes. Zumba is a Latin-dance based fitness class that is fun and highly aerobic (but non-impact). Choose from two class days: Thursdays from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., or Saturdays from 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Classes are held at the InBody Pilates Studio; 208-290-2600. 66210.zumba.com.
International Folk Dance for Seniors. Luther Park, 510 S. Olive St., hosts classes on the second and fourth Saturdays of each month, from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. The public is invited to attend, and class fee is $5.
Mindful Yoga. Every Monday and Thursday from 5:15 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at the Gardenia Center, 400 Church St. Deep, mindful yoga weaving dharana and pranayama throughout the sadhana with Maria Alberg. 208-263-2084
Pranic Healing Clinic. The Gardenia Center hosts a free Pranic Healing Class upstairs in the library at 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. on the last Sunday of every month with one of the following practitioners: Teri McDonald, Mesha Edwards, Gloria Waterhouse or Kelly Navaro.
IdaHOPE Classic :: June 2021
Sandpoint Community Resource Center holds its first annual IdaHOPE Classic at The Idaho Club in June 2021. The format will be a four-person scramble with contests and prizes galore! The day includes on-course refreshments donated by popular restaurants and beer provided by local microbreweries. The new Idaho Club Clubhouse will be the gathering place for dinner and silent auction to follow.
- Registration fee is $800 per team and is a tax-deductible donation. Sponsorships are also available. Contact 208-255-4025 for more information.
Walk With A Doc
This walking program is for everyone interested in taking steps for a healthier lifestyle. It is now being offered in Sandpoint and Clark Fork. Local medical practitioners will be leading the walks in both locations.
- Clark Fork: Dr. Heather Margaret will be leading walks in Clark Fork every Monday and Thursday at 12:15 - these walks are located at the grassy area behind the Clark Fork High School.
- Sandpoint: Walks begin at the bear statue before the City Beach entrance and go along the Sand Creek Trail. Jane Hoover, Nurse Practitioner from Family Health Center, leads walks every Tuesday evening at 5:15 p.m. In addition, every other Saturday morning a different medical provider will lead the walk beginning at 8 a.m.
All walks are free and walkers of all ages and abilities are invited to participate. It's a great way to get out, get active and enjoy good conversation. For more information, call Nanci Jenkins at Bonner County Coalition for Health / Panhandle Health District 208-263-5159
Laoshi Mark Duffner is a certified Tai Chi instructor and self-avowed Tai Chi geek. Duffner will be sharing his enthusiasm for the Tai Chi arts at the Black Bear Martial Arts Center, 114 N. Boyer. Drop-in classes are $10, and will be offered Mondays from noon to 1 p.m., and Thursdays from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Classes will include instruction on basic Tai Chi and Qigong forms and principles. Advanced students will receive training to an increasing level of depth and complexity in accordance with their readiness and willingness to learn more. To register or for more information, contact Black Bear Martial Arts Center directly at 208-255-1111.
Youth Sports Jersey Recycling Program
Have your kids outgrown their red and white youth league jerseys? Put them to great use by donating laundered, gently used jerseys back to Sandpoint Parks and Recreation. Each year, Sandpoint's P&R gives out approximately $2,000 in scholarships to youth programs, generously donated by various organizations. That money covers jersey costs as well as program fees - unless we have previously used, donated jerseys we can offer those who can't afford to purchase them. Help keep more money in the scholarship fund for kids to access for recreation program fees by donating jerseys when your children finishes the youth leagues.
- Drop off your jerseys from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, at Sandpoint P&R, 1123 Lake St. in City Hall. Questions? Call 208-263-3613. Thanks!